Friday, January 11, 2008

Osgood File on Autism: "Defect"? Really?

I hope this rant gets me some big links, because this one REALLY pissed me off.

Yesterday, I was listening to a local news radio station on my way into work, as I normally do. And as usual, I listened to "The Osgood File," which I usually find pretty fun and educational. (And no, I don't listen to NPR in the morning...sorry to disappoint.)

The "File" this morning was on a new genetic link to autism, so, naturally, I cranked it.

Interesting enough story, but the doctor, a Dr. Jon LaPook, continually referred to autism as a "defect." Seriously.

Here are some quotes from the actual transcript on the Westwood One site:

SOT - Dr. Jon LaPook "This problem accounts for about one percent of the cases of autism. So, if you're a child who happens to have this defect, this will help you get an early diagnosis. And we know the earlier you get the diagnosis, the earlier you get treatment, and the better the outcome." So, Dr. LaPook says it makes sense for some parents to take advantage of the genetic testing now available, if they can afford it. SOT - Dr. Jon LaPook "It's an expensive test right now. It costs two-to-three thousand dollars. It's available in large medical centers, research labs. But if you're a family who happens to have a child who has this defect, it can be terrific because not only can you get a diagnosis --- and therefore get treatment --- but you can start maybe making plans in terms of other children, figuring out what are the risks that my other children are gonna have this problem."
Defect? Really? Why don't you just call it an "abnormality?" How about a "retardation?"

Are you saying my son, who has Aspergers Syndrome, is DEFECTIVE? He's a CHILD, not a can of peas, people.

Let's substitute the words "defect" and "problem" with kinder terms like "difference." Again, we're talking about PEOPLE here.

Equally, and perhaps more offensive, is this suggestion:

"...but you can start maybe making plans in terms of other children, figuring out what are the risks that my other children are gonna have this problem."

Awesome. Gotta weed out those defective kids. Got one child with an autistic spectrum disorder? Please refrain from any further breeding.

I'm so disappointed by CBS radio, Osgood and this Dr. LaPook.

Seriously, WTF???

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It seems to me that the defect he is referring to is the genetic issue, not the autism. He is saying that this defect/genetic link accounts for about 1% of autism cases. But, that it would be worth finding out about so that early diagnoses of the problems it causes can be possible.