Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Vent: Fox News on Flu Pandemic

Just sent this to the fabulous new list-serv I joined for parents of asthmatics. The list is amazing....I'll report back on what the response is, assuming they don't kick me off!!!------------------
Have to vent about this -- the Fox news affiliate here just ran the most sensational and downright terrifying ad for a report about the bird flu pandemic scare. It featured lots of children's smiling faces, of course, along with creepy, dramatic music. Oh, and the tagline, "Billions could die -- tens of thousands in New York City alone."

Now, I know that there is a very real risk of a bird flu pandamic, but I also know that the World Health Organization and CDC are on it, antivirals are being stockpiled as funding permits, and an epidemic was already contained in Thailand. Of course, there's still a risk, and it's still horrifying, but I like to think that WHO and CDC are better organized than FEMA.

But really, isn't this scary enough as it is? Why do the cheesey news shows have to go around scaring everyone?

It's more than terrifying to face another flu season with an asthmatic preschooler, a toddler and a baby due in the thick of it all. I want to go down to Fox News in midtown and wring some irresponsible necks for these scary, ridiculous ads!!!!!! It's so infuriating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

OK, this has nothing to do with your post, except in the category of news stories that scare me to death...
Check this out. It's a situation I've been concerned about for a while -- Chas has food allergies as well as asthma. He's only 21/2 but he'll be starting school before we know it and I hate the idea of him being somewhere without an adult who knows how to deal with his asthma/allergies:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/09/29/schoolnurses/index.html