Monday, February 07, 2005

Update on the Boy: THIRD antibiotic for the sinus infection

That's right. Now we're on Biaxin, a completely evil and side-effect riddled antibiotic. Allow me to quote the sheet that came in the bag:

SIDE EFFECTS: Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, changes in taste, and headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects...
Oh my God! What am I doing to my baby?

I have to keep reminding myself that he's (a) had this infection since at least November and (b) has had two back-to-back, 3-week courses of progressively stronger antibiotics. He still sounds terrible, and I'm scared to death that the infection will trigger a major asthma attack or - since it's defying antibiotics anyway - spread to his lungs.

But there does come a point where you start wondering if the treatment really isn't worth than the illness itself.

....more after we see the ENT on Weds.

No comments: