Monday, January 17, 2005

Omnicef and Adenoids

Poor Bryn. At 3-and-a-half, he's been on countless courses of antibiotics, he's been in the emergency room 5 or 6 times had RSV, occular (is that right?) surgery, and a six-day hospitalization. In the past year alone, he's switched schools, moved, and had to adjust to a new baby brother. And now this.

His sinus infection was kind enough to return after a 20-day course of amoxicillan. Nice, right. So we went to a pediatric otolaryngologist (ENT) on Saturday. Now he's on a 21-day course of Ominicef (broad-spectrum, super-strength antibiotic) and if that doesn't work, the doctor recommends having his adenoids removed.

Oh, yea. Another hospitalization.

The poor kid. He's obviously not feeling well, although he says he's fine. (He's 3.) He's lethargic, coughing his cute little head off, and wiping his nose every 5 minutes. I so want him to get better, but the thought of another surgery.... He's really brave and *such* a good sport about all this stuff, but I hate to do it to him.

I really need to read up on this. I mean, if the tonsils and adenoids are filters, wouldn't removing them mean that the bacteria/allergens/viruses (whatever the hell they're filtering!) would go right to his lungs? Wouldn't that make his asthma worse, potentially?

I'm not sure I understand this.

I know I'm jumping the gun here -- I'll just pray the Omnicef works. I don't need to worry about the adenoid removal -- yet.

No comments: